December 7, 2011

Mini Bench Complete!

Camille and I found this cute little bench at an estate sale for $18 back in October. It is the perfect size to sit next to our back door and put on shoes or set my purse. It needed some work. Here is the before.


I first pulled off the cushions and all previous batting etc.

I washed the chair with white vinegar and water then lightly sanded.  

We decided to add a piece of wood on the bottom for better support. Michael helped me with this part. Here he is measuring and cutting to fit. 

I spray painted with Rust-Oleum Ultra Coverage. It worked well.

 Here is the bench with the board screwed down. Michael helped with that part as well.

We had foam left over from our headboard project so I used that to make the bottom extra cushy!

I then covered the foam with batting.

Then I stapled the batting to the chair and cut off the excess.

I then draped the fabric over the batting and started stapling.

The corners were a challenge and I am going to have to go back and repair one of them.

After I finished stapling, I cut the excess fabric.

Here it is complete without the pillow. I forgot to take pictures of that process but I decided to go with a 14" x 28" pillow on the back instead of a cushion tied to the back. I got the pillow form for 50% off a Joanns and it was easy to make.  

Voila!

Not to bad for my first try at reupholstering! It came along way from this.....




I forgot to mention there was some gold detailing around some of the spindles that I really liked but got covered up with the spray paint. So I used some of my favorite Martha Stewart Gold Satin Metallic Paint and carefully painted the spindles. I have definitely gotten my $6 out of that bottle.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! That came out so charming. Great re-do and love the graphic fabric you chose!
    -linda,ny

    ReplyDelete