So I have started making progress on my master bedroom. To see the entire space, click here. This week I completed my bed skirt, it took probably about 5 hours time and I think it is my best sewing project to date in terms of quality (i.e. straight lines and cuts). There is a small problem with the corners because my bed frame sticks out so far. I have tried adjusting the box spring but it did not help. I am waiting for my sewing consultant aka my mom to get back into town to get her advice.
As a quick recap, here is the bed skirt before. I bought the previous bed skirt on eBay for super cheap and I have had it probably close to 8 years. It definitely needed upgrading.
I bought the fabric months ago for the new bed skirt on major discount at Ufab. I believe it was $20 for about 7 yards. Not that dramatic of a change so far but I am glad to have this step complete.
Here are some step by step pictures of my process.
|First, I pinned the fabric around the bed just to get an idea on spacing and where to mark for a pleat.|
|Then I measured from the top of the box spring to the floor.|
|The only space large enough to roll out my fabric.|
|I measured and then followed the design in the fabric to make my cut straight.|
|Measuring for the top turn over|
|Mark for the pleat|
|Measure for the hem|
|I pinned the top and hem all the way down.|
|Then pressed with my iron.|
|My pleat from the back.|
|Now sewing...I think getting everything cut and pinned and pressed is harder than the actual sewing!|
|I used these twist pins to attach to the box spring. They worked pretty well and are less than $5 at Joann's.|
I found these shams in my attic and am considering using them. Turns out I also have a down comforter up there but no duvet. I went to my mom's today because she has a bunch of extra bedspreads in her attic. I brought home two to try but they didn't work.
Last Friday, I hit a few of my favorite thrift stores looking for frames and/or art work for my gallery wall.
|Love of Jesus Thrift Store|
Because I am a hoarder, I also found a few frames that will work in my attic! I have decided to paint the dressers so that is on the agenda for this weekend. Come back next week to see how they turn out.